Crystals & Meditation
Humans have always had a special relationship with the mineral world; they are a gift from Mother Nature providing numerous benefits. For thousands of years minerals have played an important part in day-to-day life from providing adornment, making tools, and being used in ceremonies.
One of the easiest ways to experience the benefits of minerals, or crystals, is through the gateway of meditation. Meditation is beneficial to your total well-being by instilling calm and a deep sense of relaxation. Adding the use of crystals during meditation can serve as a powerful tool to enhance your practice.
Why Use Crystals
While meditation does not necessarily need anything but you and your desire to commit to peace and fulfillment, crystals add a dimension of inner exploration that can be quite rewarding. Here are a few reasons for using crystals during meditation to inspire you:
- Deepens meditation practice
- Helps to achieve a specific outcome
- Reinforces intentions
- Raises consciousness and awareness
- Deepens intuition and insight
You are constantly exchanging energy and information with everything around you, whether or not you are aware of it.
Getting Started with Crystals
All crystals, rocks, and stones are packed with energy. Here are some helpful stones to have available due to their versatility:
- Clear quartz: Multipurpose stone used to heal, clear, and charge
- Selenite: Charges up other crystals, lightens mood
- Amethyst: Charges up other crystals, strengthens intuition, clears negativity
- Adventurine: Helps to boost energy and decrease stress, promotes calm and balance
- Rose quartz: The love stone—helps to heal from grief or a broken heart, promotes peace and harmony in the home, attracts more love
- Citrine: Recharges energy and releases negativity, attracts abundance, helps with manifesting a goal
- Flourite: Helps to ground and balance, helps to heal, clears other stones of lower vibrations
- Smoky quartz: Clears stones, relieves stress, defends against lower vibrations
Choosing a Crystal for Meditation
When it comes time for meditation, how do you choose which crystal to work with? If you are working on something specific in your life, get clear on what that is and perhaps write it down. Choose the crystal that aligns with your goal. (For example, if you are working on bringing in more abundance, citrine may be helpful.) If you are unsure of the significance of a stone, simply do a search on the internet or purchase a book with the descriptions and meanings. Or, you can use your intuition.
How to Use Crystals
The first thing to do after purchasing a crystal is to clear it of any energy it may have picked up by burning some sage around it. You can bathe it in saltwater overnight as well, but make sure it won’t dissolve.
During meditation you can hold the crystal in your palm, place it near you, or place it on a part of your body while lying face up. There is no right or wrong way to hold it. Everyone’s preference for working with crystals is different. Visualize your goals or intentions for using the stone and then let it go—allow the crystal to do its work.
When you are finished, thank it for working with you.
Crystal Meditation Exercise
This meditation is a good way to introduce yourself to your crystals and begin to understand how they can begin to help you.
- Find a quiet space and settle into a comfortable position.
- Have your crystals nearby (they should be cleansed already).
- Close your eyes and connect with your breath for 2–3 minutes.
- When you feel ready, select the first crystal and ask it for permission.
- Hold it in whatever way feels comfortable.
- Notice how it likes to communicate with you—color, sounds, sensations in the body, visuals, etc.
- Note any messages it has for you. If nothing comes up, that is fine.
- Write anything down in a journal.
- Continue to do this with each stone, thanking it after each use.
- End your meditation by connecting with your breath again, opening your eyes when ready.
You don’t have to be intuitive or an expert to enjoy the healing energy of the mineral world. All you need is an open and willing heart to connect and discover what you may.